I thought that much like I did with my Captain America: Civil War review I’d just spit out what I thought of the latest X-Men romp in plain simple english. No BS. I’m gonna try to avoid spoilers, but no grantees.
Before I go any further, I want to make it clear this is a fun film. I love the X-Men. Despite the 3rd flick I haven’t had that many complaints about the film series. I’m not going to rope Wolverine Origins in, that gum on the sidewalk of a film deserves to be buried. That film is so bad that a blind child who just received sight through some medical miracle is shown that they beg to blinded again. Apocalypse is a good film, it’s not great, honestly I liked Days Of Future Past better. Does this mean you shouldn’t lay down cash to see it? No. It’s worth the $10 bucks.
Anyways, I’m loosing myself, let’s get to the list of things I liked and things I didn’t. Again no particular order.
10. The Weapon X (Wolverine) scene is perfect. One of the best in the film, and serves as cool way to introduce Logan. Sadly, he’s not in the film more.
9. Olive Munn(Psylocke) can wear latex like a champ, but she can’t act. Sorry fanboys! Her acting chops haven’t improved since Attack Of The Show.
8. Quicksilver ( Evan Peters) steals the show. Why is no one talking about him get a solo flick?
7. Apocalypse (Oscar Issac) is terrific just close your eyes and listen to his voice. Don’t look at his stupid costume.
6. Loved the new Cyclops(Tye Sheridan), Jean Grey (Sophie Turner), and Nightcrawler (Kodi Smit-McPhee). Singer and co. did a nice job on re-introducing them. Defiantly a team to look forward to.
5. Professor X & Magento have the same conversation about humans, mutants, good, evil for the 1000th time. We get it guys you have different opinions. Can’t Magento just be a bad guy already?
4. Dark Phoenix ? Oh, yah there’s a not so subtle wink towards the end.
3. Alexandra Shipp (Storm) is 100% better than Halle Berry. Sorry it’s true.
2. Jubliee? Really Fox? We can’t get Gambit but you can make room for the crappiest Xmen ever.
1. JLaw as Mystique or should I say Katiss? Seriously. I get she’s popular, I get she won some awards, but Mystique is and never was a leader. She’s B level character at best. And I swear her lines in this were the same the last few Hunger Games.
Ok, those are top 10 impressions from XMen: Apocalypse. I didn’t get to the pacing or direction, which I will say Singer did a good job at. The script is ok, there wasn’t anything that you didn’t see coming or will profoundly stick to your ribs. As summer tent poles go, the Dolby Digital Surround Sound will get a work out with all the destruction, mutant powers, and fight scenes. If I had to rank this film in the franchise I’d put it above Last Stand, the original one, but below the others. The second film is still my favorite, with First Class being a strong second.
Let me know what you guys think! Am I crazy or right on?